Saturday, July 12, 2014

Hi Ho Hi Ho a writing I must go

   7-12

   After several weeks of trying to return my life to normal the stuff that the chemo people warned me about has finally come to pass. A loss of strength, energy and a general feeling of malaise. This past week I have slept more than I can remember since I don't know when. Without being too graphic Monday was just horrible and the rest of the week has been playing catch up. Friday was a clinic day that started with labs. I was more than a bit dehydrated and I was afraid that the blood draw was going to be a battle. The vampires in the lab are professionals though and had success on the second stab. Of course they also handed me two containers to fill with urine and they're still waiting on that. One of the clinics I had to see was Nuclear Medicine and I had to be fasting for that. Since I was still feeling nauseated the fasting didn't really bother me so much but it added to the general feeling of weakness and the dehydration level. The only good part of the visit was after the nurse had injected me with some dangerous looking stuff I was allowed to take a short nap all while being covered in very warm blankets. I realize that it's summer and everyone wants the AC on but the average temp in there is around 72 and I know that I'm not the only one in there that was wanting something to keep warm. Most of the nurses had a sweater and I usually have mine but when you leave the house and the outside temp is nearing 90 with predictions for 100 it doesn't really occur to you to grab your sweater. We keep our thermostat at the house set on 79 and there are times I even have a sweater on there but I know that's just my internal thermostat going crazy again. Maybe someone ( one of the doctors there maybe?) should remind them that going in and out of a cool building and into the heat isn't very conducive to good health.
The visit to Nuclear Med clinic was a bit weird and I almost felt like I was on a set from some sci-fi movie. The nurse spoke with a what I believed to be a heavy Hungarian accent. ( I wasn't about to ask, she had needles and I was too weak to put up much of a fight anyway.) After she started the IV she left the room and came back with a box approximately 12 inches long and about 5 wide and 5 tall. She set it down and by the way she handled it I could tell it was very heavy. It turns out it was lead lined as was the syringe she pulled out of this box. This syringe was almost two inches in diameter although it was mostly just lead shielding. Then she injected me with this stuff which I almost expected some weird science experiment to transform me into something. Exactly what I'm sure I don't know. Even my imagination has a hard time coming up with what to do with a 6'9” skinny toothless old guy. The only thing still functioning worth a darn in me is my brain and there are more than one person lately that would debate that. ( And probably many more that have always debated it. ) As I said earlier then she wrapped me up and I got a nap. Then on to the torture chamber. Actually it was the PET scan machine but my right shoulder has a knot in it and when they had me lift my arms over my head to get me in position for the scan it felt more like I had a knife stuck in below my shoulder blade trying to come out at my shoulder. The technician said it would take 20 minutes and when he came on the intercom and said “ Nine more minutes” I wasn't sure I was going to make it. When they finally pulled me out of the tube I had to take my left arm and lift my right arm back down. Then they had one more to do but luckily my arms didn't have to be up for this one. Needless to say by the time I got out of there I was wiped out. I hadn't had anything to eat all day and very little to drink. I wasn't sure I would hold anything down so I waited till I got home to try. When I did sit down at the house I took one can and a big glass of water and let that sit for a while. Finally later that evening I was able to take two cans. For those of you that haven't been following right now nearly my only source of nutrition is from pouring two 8 oz. cans of liquid, similar to Boost, into a tube inserted into my stomach. I am able to eat some things by mouth but it has to be the consistency of baby food.
   Monday I go to see my primary care Dr. and Wednesday I go back to the ENT clinic and I'm supposed to get the results of the PET scan so I'll sign off for now and let y'all know how all of this goes next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment