Thursday, March 13, 2014

Good news, you're not gonna die (but you might wish you could)




 I went to the dentist yesterday and as I suspected it was over an hour wait to sit in the chair for two minutes. The Dr. looked inside my mouth and said “ Uh huh. Yeah. Looks good. You can go now.” This was the Dr. that had done the oversewing of my gums. You would think that they would remember someone that they had tortured, but no. I kept my cool and asked him how long it would be before I could get my dentures and he said about six weeks. Oh goody, just about the time I’m through with chemo and radiation the dentists get to torture me again. Although I’ve been through that particular bit of torture before. “Here sir, put this shovel full of cold goop in your mouth until it sets up.”  The trick to that is to lean forward so it doesn’t run down the back of your throat.
On to chemo. After they took vitals, and after a two hour wait we finally got in to see the Dr. He said the chemical that I would be getting is Cisplatin. This seems to be one of the original chemo drugs. You know, the one where you lose all of your hair and puke till your toenails are in your throat. Hmm, I was seasick once, is it anything like that? Don’t know, everybody is different. But we have a pile of other drugs we’re gonna give you to help you feel normal. Uhh, yeah. No teeth and no hair and puking for days at a time. Yeah, that’s pretty normal for me.  NOT !!!   For anyone that's interested google Cisplatin. It's full of nasty news.
 Well, just gonna hafta see how that all plays out. I still believe that God has other things for me to do and I’m going to have to stick around to see what that is. This is not something that He put in my way, but something that has just happened. We are given free will and evidently so are diseases. You can do things to hasten the end of your life and you can do things to extend your life. But Jim Fixx was doing all of the things he thought was right and his heart exploded. And I’m sure we all know of people who do everything wrong and still keep getting everything. The world isn’t fair and you’re just going to have to get used to it. 
On to other things.

Getting used to not having any teeth is a bit more of a problem than I had originally thought. The problem aside from having to relearn how and what to eat is that the teeth locate the jaw. That is they give you a point of reference of where to stop closing your mouth. With no teeth you don’t have that point of reference anymore. Your lower jaw will now go further towards shut than it used to and trying to find that point where it used to be is a little disconcerting because you get the feeling your mouth is open like Bubba in Forest Gump. You feel like when you’re talking all that’s coming out is blah blah blah. And I mean literally that. Kind of like a baby discovering new sounds going ba bab ba bub blah. It gives new meaning to the term motorboatin’.  What I feel that I need is some sort of dental appliance that is soft , pliable, and hygienic  that helps to align and locate the jaw in the position it should be in if you had teeth. It should have grooves of a sort in it so the gums would have a place to sit. Mostly  I need this thing to sleep in. I have woken up after having worked my jaw, supposedly talking to someone in my sleep, with my jaw slightly sore because my jaw is now able to close further than it did before.  So dental appliance inventors get busy.

  An FYI for my blog followers. We are heading to the north 40 today and will be incommuncado  until Monday at least. There is almost no signal there. You have to leave the phone in the window to get a text. I have actually made a phone call there, but you have to stand on the second floor landing to do it.Kind of reminds me of the guy that stands on the roof with the antenna in his hand doing different yoga poses trying to get good reception on the TV. But it's quiet there (except for the coyotes, frogs, etc.) and gives you a lot of time for introspection. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. The north 40 doesn’t have a land line, internet, or TV, so it’s just us.
 Till Monday then.


No comments:

Post a Comment