Monday, March 31, 2014

On to chemo

Today was the first day of chemo. The day started well, that is until we actually got on the road. A three car pile up ahead of us stopped us before we could even get up to highway speed. And of course there were three cops and two firetrucks blocking all but the far left of three lanes. I guess it wouldn't do for one of the officers to go back and direct traffic, you know to protect ( other drivers from another accident ) and to serve ( direct traffic to make it move more efficiently and thereby reducing the backup ) . I know that there is no glamor in directing traffic, but it has become a real sore point with me. I have driven somewhere in the neighborhood of three million miles in my lifetime. This is nowhere near a record but I have seen where law enforcement actually put their heads together to make an accident scene more safe. It calls for someone in charge, usually a Sgt. or higher to arrive on the scene, assess the situation, and deploy the officers accordingly. I was told once when I joined a volunteer fire department that “ We're not a surround and drown department.” However that's all I've seen recently from police departments in accident situations. If six officers arrive at the scene, six officers will stay on the scene. All this really shows me is an extreme lack of leadership. I have seen officers directing traffic, but it's almost always in a rural area, and most often it's volunteer firefighters doing it.
OK off the soapbox and on to chemo. By the time we got there I was running about 15 minutes late.When I checked in the chemo people told me I needed labs. Which meant blood draw. I went around to the lab. Waited about 20 minutes to have paperwork done ( you do remember John how the government runs? Ah yes it's coming back to me now. On paperwork. ) then on to the lab which took about 2 minutes. Back to chemo where they said that they wouldn't have time to start my chemo before radiation wanted me. So we left there and went to radiation. About 2 minutes after I checked in I was called back to the checkin desk. They asked me who had told me that I was scheduled for today. After some more conversation they finally figured it out and as it happened they took me next. Now the last time I was there I had asked for something to help keep me calm during the first few treatments to get me used to the idea of being clamped down. Their idea of the best med was Xanax. I have mentioned it before but it bears repeating and don't think I haven't told anyone that I thought would listen. I have a high tolerance for pain and a high tolerance for drugs. ( Of course I still don't know how this chemo will affect me.) The recommended dose that they had prescribed was 2 ½ Mg. All I can tell is nothing. It did absolutely nothing and I was about to holler uncle when they came on the intercom and said it was over. Not a second to soon. I talked to a nurse afterward and told them about it. They said they would get back with the Dr. and let me know what to do.( Question: what ever happened to Valium? I know what that stuff does. Or is that to retro? Just curious because I don't have one of those books that Elvis and Michael had to tell them all of the actions and reactions etc.) Then it was back to chemo. And as luck would have it the chemo department was understaffed today. It seems they were supposed to have at least three nurses on staff and today they only had one regular there. They had borrowed the nurse supervisor to cover and I drew her to start my infusion line. Now I know that as a supervisor at some time she probably was pretty good at this, but sort of good was all I was gonna get. She tried twice and couldn't get a line started. Then the regular charge nurse came and got it started. Or so we thought. After a bag of saline was in they hung the poison. I could tell immediately when it started because it stung a little. About 10 minutes or so after it started I looked at my arm and there was a large lump at the infusion sight. They immediately stopped the line and went back to my left arm that had been stuck three times so far. Now it was going to be four. But it seemed today that the fourth time was to be the charm. We finally finished at 5:00 PM.
Thankfully the trip back to our temporary home was short. I had slept most of the day away while waiting for the infusion to be over and I would have thought that I would be ready to jump and run around. But as I stepped out of the truck I found out that was not to be. I was a little dizzy and sort of weak. Breakfast had been a long time ago so after we got settled I started eating. And since I knew I was supposed to be getting nauseous later I figured I better get as much in me as possible while I could.

More later. Gotta see if I can find WiFi and get this posted.

2 comments:

  1. John, Why don't they have a port in you to put the lines in? They wouldn't have to poke so many times. Hope your feeling better today and prayers are being sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we were there with you...I am a walking pharmacy following my broken back and neck and the surgeries. 2.5 mg is nothing, that's for sure! Wish there was a way I could help. And Mary (above) is right...why don't they have a port installed already? I'd ask for that right away. Hang in there, my friend. We are praying for you and love you very much. Please call any time y'all need to talk, complain, or cry. We're here for you.

    ReplyDelete