Friday, March 28, 2014

Testing 1 2 3

Mon Mar 24

Went to radiology today for my dry run. I gotta admit, that mask is more than a little bit freaky. My mind has a picture of Wes Cravens scream mask being stretched over my head just before they tie me down and turn on the machine that lifts me up to the ceiling and the lightning bolts come to light me up and vaporize me. And it doesn't help that your not only clamped down from the shoulders up, but your hands have a strap that is attached to a board that your feet are pushing away. When the technicians step out of the room to do their thing there is an overwhelming feeling of aloneness and being trapped. You know that they are only 20 to 30 feet away and can hear you, but it really doesn't help.  After a short talk with the Dr. he said he would give me something to help me get through the anxiety for a week or two. I can tell that the alien has grown a bit since the mask was made ( 18 days, I did the math so you wouldn't have to ) because I had to turn my head a bit to get the mask on. I was supposed to start this mess tomorrow, but the Dr. said that some physics geek has to program the doohickey in the whachamacallit. That's their technical term, not mine. So, I await their phone call.
 We left the hospital and checked on a couple of RV parks. Some friends of ours have let us borrow their trailer for the time that I'm going to have treatment. This will allow us to have to drive only about 14 miles instead of the 75 miles from the house. And since treatments will be Mon. - Fri. for about 7 weeks, that's a huge savings in gas and time. Not to mention a total of about half an hour of driving as opposed to 3 hours. And that will be even better as this moves forward since I'm sure I will turn into even more of a grump than usual. The RV park is supposed to have WiFi so I should be able to let y'all know what's going on.

Fri. Mar. 28
 Woohoo, they called this afternoon to say my treatments will start Mon. morning. It's not that I'm excited, it's just that I'm glad to finally have a start date--- which means I now have an ending date. This should be May 14. I have to be at the hospital 8:00 Mon. morning to start chemo and then at 9:30 go to radiation. Then it's radiation every day. Chemo again somewhere around Apr 21 and again at the end.

I'm going to post this now to let my followers know. The next post will probably be other ramblings till I get settled into treatment.


















3 comments:

  1. Can you download books onto your phone or tablet and listen to them while going through treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you John! Hope you start feeling better soon! I look forward to the next blog! You have wonderful writing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes John you are a great writer. .;) I'm sure this journey is scary cause of the unknown but you have a great attitude. And sarcasm, lol. I pray for quick treatment and recovery. Love u

    ReplyDelete